The Prime Minister is the head of the Government and the head of the Council of Ministers. The Prime Minister is appointed by the President on the basis of his being the leader of the majority party in the Lok Sabha. If no party gets an absolute majority in the Lok Sabha or a Prime Minister resigns or dies, the President can use his own discretion in the choice of the Prime Minister. Article 78 stipulates that it is the duty of the Prime Minister (a) to communicate to the President all the decisions takes by the Cabinet and (b) to furnish such information relating to the administration of the Union or any Legislation as the President may call for.
The Prime Minister serves in the office for five years through he can be re-appointed. When the Lok Sabha is dissolved, He can continue in office upon the request of the President. If the Government is defeated in the Lok Sabha, the Prime Minister and the entire cabinet must resign, however, if defeated in the Rajya Sabha, resignation is not obligatory.
- Jawaharlal Nehru was the first Prime Minister and the longest serving so far.
- The first and the ‘only’ acting Prime Minister was Gulzarilal Nanda.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri was the first PM who dead abroad, while in office at Takshent. Gulzarilal Nanda has acted twice as the Prime Minister.
- Chaudhary Charan Singh was the only PM who did not face Parliament, wihle being in office.
- The youngest Prime Minister was Rajeev Gandhi and the oldest Prime Minister was Morarji Desai.
- AB Vajpayee (May 1996-June 1996) government had the shortest tenure (13 days.)
- Legislature of the union is called the Parliament and consists of the Rajya Sabha (Council of States), the Lok Sabha (House of the People) and the President (Article 79).
- The business of Parliament is transacted either in Hindi or in English. However, the Presiding Officers of the two Houses may permit any member to address the House in his/her mother tongue too.
Uttarakhand Subordinate Service Selection Commission (UKSSSC) Recruitment 2017 for Junior Assistants/Computer Operators, Stenographers/Personal Assistants and more – 179 Vacancies Uttarakhand ...Read More
The Thane District Central Co-op.Bank Ltd., Thane. (DCCB) Recruitment 2017 for Junior Banking Assistant, Junior Manager, etc – 205 Vacancies ...Read More
UT Administration of Daman & Diu, Staff Selection Board (SSB) Recruitment 2017 for Assistant Sub-Inspectors, Police Constables, Inspector of Excise ...Read More
Himachal Pradesh Staff Selection Commission (HPSSC) Recruitment 2017 for Sub-Inspectors, Radiographers, Pharmacists and more – 2,965 Vacancies Himachal Pradesh Staff ...Read More
Telangana State Public Service Commission (TSPSC) Recruitment 2017 for Agriculture Extension Officers - 851 Vacancies: Telangana State Public Service Commission ...Read More
West Bengal Board of Primary Education, Teacher Eligibility Test (WBBPE, TET) Recruitment 2017 for Teachers (Primary) West Bengal Board of ...Read More
National Rural Health Mission (NRHM Recruitment 2017 for Staff Nurses and Specialist – 1,121 Vacancies National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) ...Read More
Gujarat State Education Recruitment Board (GSERB) Recruitment 2017 for Computer Principals – 2,329 Vacancies Gujarat State Education Recruitment Board (GSERB) ...Read More
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Recruitment 2017 for Scientist/ Engineer 'SC' in Electronics, Mechanical and Computer Science Discipline – 80 ...Read More
Rashtriya Madhyamik Siksha Abhijan, Assam (RMSA) Recruitment 2017 for Computer Instructor – 3,052 Vacancies Rashtriya Madhyamik Siksha Abhijan, Assam (RMSA) ...Read More
IRCON International Limited Recruitment 2017 for Work Engineers & Site Supervisors – 146 Vacancies IRCON International Limited are invites online ...Read More
Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) Recruitment 2017 for Police Sub Inspectors – 650 Vacancies Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) are ...Read More
Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) Recruitment 2017 for Junior Engineer - Electrical (Trainee) – 226 Vacancies Uttar Pradesh Power ...Read More
Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MAHA-METRO) Recruitment 2017 for Supervised: Train Controllers/Station Operators, Section Engineers and Junior Engineers and Non-supervised: ...Read More